More pics from my cruise several months ago.

Friday, July 27, 2007

So You Think You Can Dance


Obviously, America doesn't know what it takes to be a professional dancer. I assure you it is not dancing on your head and faking the rest, or being able to waltz and fox trot and nothing more. As a dancer, I respect and appreciate the talent and "technique" needed to execute the above mentioned styles, yet the purpose of SYTYCD is to find the best all around dancer. To have a long lasting career in dance, one needs versatility and proper technique.


With that being said, why is Dominic still in the competition? Who voted for him? Is the large young, white, teeny-boper contingency voting for him in some convoluted attempt at being "down" with hip-hop? By performing the SAME damn solo as everyone else (which I actually loved by Wade), could the voting public not see how lacking in technique he was? And Pasha as well? Why am I getting so worked up when I already predicted all of the best dancers would slowly be voted off in lieu of some goofy tool who doesn't deserve to win (no offense Benji-you grew on me but Travis was still better)?

I'm glad that the judges (although I quite often disagree with them as well) were in control at the start so that the REAL talent got some exposure for their future careers. (Did anyone peep Blake from S1 on J-Lo's dancelife?) Does anyone watch any of these shows besides me?

How crazy is Mary Murphy? Mike said she and Paula need their own show--I agree. What was up with the whole Mia/marines coat emblem controversy? Who didn't expect there to be some backlash from "middle America" in regards to Wade's anti-war solo? How surprising was it that Nigel so eloquently responded with the logical rebuttal that "no one should support war--who wants people to die? that doesn't make one un-patriotic." ?

Moving to the subject of cheer leading (I'm sure I just lost whatever male readers I had at this point =P ), I coach a local Boys and Girl's Club cheer squad. Last year, I had very little support in trying to break them out of the cycle of what I call "hood" cheering. Am I wrong for that? The commissioner last year as well as this year's were supportive and encouraged me to teach them proper cheer technique (there goes that word again) and more than just "boom-chicka-boom" stuff. I was met with resistance from the kids, their parents and other coaches. I was told that the stunts I wanted them to do were too difficult and that I needed to make things simpler. I really began to doubt that I was doing the right thing and maybe the kids didn't need exposure to more than what they knew in that regard (it was supposed to be a fun pastime). However, when I saw the looks on their faces when they stuck their routine and won 1st place in a large cheer competition, I knew I was doing the right thing.

So this year, the commissioner wanted all of the age groups to be exposed to this type of cheer leading and brought in some college squad members from Catholic University to help coach. Once again, some coaches were resistant, and went as far as taking their girls out of the clinic and teaching them other things. Some parents complained that the new cheers were "too white" and encouraged the ebonics laden cheers. WHY? Why wouldn't you want your child to have the tools to make a competitive squad and possibly earn a college scholarship? Am I being blinded by my own lifestyle and opportunities and not seeing it from their perspective? Most parents and kids are on board, at this point though. I will just ignore those who are not.

I honor of this dance and cheer post, I have uploaded a picture of my college dance team: "Mahogany In Motion" Mike don't say anything about me living in the past! lol


No comments: