More pics from my cruise several months ago.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Im Back...Bitches!






There hasn't been this many ninjas at sea since that first boat ride over!

So, if you haven't heard about Festival Sea, it is an annual cruise for the African American population. An entire cruise ship is chartered and everything is geared towards our people. From the music played in the elevators, to the activities and even the performers...its all about black people.

Some of the performers were Morris Day and the Time, Rickey Smiley, and Joe.

Now a friend of mine, who is African American, happened to ask me why would I want to go on such a cruise. If you are wondering the same thing, then forget about it...you wouldn't understand.

We sailed out of Tampa and our first stop was Key West. I found the city to be an interesting mix of tourist, artsy, alternative, and military cultures. We went to the Truman Museum (because sometimes we are nerds) and learned a lot about the political history of the area.

Our next stop was Nassau, Bahamas and I was overwhelmed by the island's beauty (although I had been there before, I was too young to appreciate the beauty of the land and its people). We toured the Atlantis hotel and its many aquariums before heading to the beach. While there, we encountered a few rain storms which we would later learn would be the precursors of Hurricane Dean.
That night was the Hollywood formal, and it was wonderful to see all my people dressed to the nines. (of course I will only share a picture of myself but I'm sure you can imagine. =)) Every dinner on the cruise was at least 4 courses and my palate enjoyed every minute of it. I also had some great wines including a very nice Riesling and Merlot.

Wednesday we hit Ocho Rios, JA and I was ready to party. Each day, my drink diet consisted of at least 4 Rum Punches and I was ready to expand my menu. We took a shuttle to the Mahogany Beach and headed straight for the bar. I dined on Jerk Chicken and a Dirty Banana and was feeling great. As expected, within minutes I found a green connect and was all set with the herbal refreshments. I was weaseled into buying a straw bag and other souvenirs. We then headed to Soni Station, and really started to shop. There was a swap-meet area, and every vendor had GAME. They would hassle you to come look at their shop, tell you their story, fan you like you're a queen (which I am), and before you knew it you'd dropped $50 or more on knick knacks. I am the ultimate consumer so they must have known I was an easy target, but I did come away with some cool gifts, jewelry, and artwork. I pray for those people along with anyone affected by the hurricane.

That evening was the White Linen night. Unfortunately, the deck party had to be moved inside due to the storms but it still went down. After amazingly getting through dinner unsoiled, I partied at the Firebird Lounge. At midnight, Damon Williams gave a comedy show that was off the hook! Dude is hilarious and had me crying the entire time.

There are sooo many other details that I could discuss but nights are starting to run together in my mind. I would be remiss if I did not mention the Emergency 911 Costume Night and the fact that my parents won the Best Couple Award.


Other highlights on the boat include the African Night, where we surprised my parents with an anniversary dinner at the ship's Supper Club. Karaoke, African American Idol, line dancing (although I will stab myself if I hear the Cupid Shuffle one more time), Water Balloon Wars and the eating at the Sushi bar were also some very memorable activities.

Our last stop was Grand Cayman and the beach was breathtaking.
By this time, it was known that Hurricane Dean was headed to the area and even some of the locals were considering leaving. Our cruise ship left Friday night and headed back for the states. We outran the storm and the water was a little choppy at times. Although I am glad to be home, I had a wonderful time and would recommend the Festival At Sea experience to anyone who loves our culture (there were some others on the boat as well). There were no fights, major drama, or problems that many like to associate with large gatherings of black people. The camaraderie and energy among the passengers was touching and beautiful to witness. I will probably post a part II when I get the rest of my pics uploaded and can remember more details--certain stuff is foggy. I will say this (yes I am corny): Ain't no party like a black folks party, cause a black folks party don't stop!

4 comments:

brittaJ said...

i love the pics and detailed information. Glad you had a great time :-)

Anonymous said...

I love your family. Sounds like an awesome experience. I told my mom that we need to take a family vacation. I think we are. And again you look fabuless girl!!!

Mommy said...

I really enjoyed your article on the cruise. Your vivaciousness is truly the spirit of the your name. Just one point: It's not corny to say what's true...there really ain't no party like ours because we have to struggle so hard, on a daily basis, just to get a little piece of the pie. No other race is so disrespected and put down as ours is AND SO, when we get a chance to get together and CELEBRATE our blackness, without fights and drama, IT IS TRULY AMAZING. I'm so glad that I raised you to understand the pride we have in our race...it's unfortunate that your co-worker was not raised with the same views (visions of Clarence Thomas, etc.)

Unknown said...

The Rice Clan strikes again!!! Looks fun but I still a not getting on any cruise ships.